Sunday 15 August 2010

The going of the railway

Cleveland Railway map 1863

The Staithes viaduct

Sparrow Lane.

On the branch into Guisborough station. Not the “high line” which went on to Boosbeck and beyond.) Sparrow Lane Bridge, and in the foreground the remains of the bridge of the old Cleveland Railway.

Guisborough station from the W.

Railway plaque.

Stockton and Darlington Railway Number Plate at Guisborough on wall of Stationmaster’s house.

Line opened for mineral traffic 1853, and for passengers 1854. Last train out 29 April 1964.

Site purchased for use by UDC as car park. Additional cost of £400 to break covenant restricting use of site to railway purposes.

Cart entrance to the station, on the right

Entrance to Passenger Station
Passenger Station and House

Goods Station during demolition.

View from the station, up Chaloner Street with Goods line in the foreground.

Temperance Hall on the left, Masonic Hall on the right.

Station Staff, February 1964

Last train 1964

No comments:

Post a Comment