Thursday, 15 October 2009

Tocketts & Upleatham

Tocketts East
The well-cut letters of a local mason. What type-face did he copy? A classic style with pleasing serifs. (Photo M. Morgan)

Tocketts Hall
Ord’s History, p. 234
See also Guisborough Before 1900, p. 125

Did they live at the dowry farm before settling down at the (old) Tocketts Hall.
See OS map showing site.

Tocketts Mill (Photo Geo Page)

and ITV: 2 reps called 19 April 1979 re “Entertainment programme at Tocketts Mill" later. Wanted local background information. Gave them a copy of “Decline and Resurgence”. Advised them to study Guisborough file at Library. Declined to take part. Offered slide of old playbill. No further news from them. Ian Krause and Karen Blumfeld, TV Centre, N’castle on Tyne. Usual approach – want it ‘on a plate’, gratis!

Victoria County History, NR of Yorks, pp 412-413, with illustration.
12 Century Font, unmounted rectangular font, similar in type to that of Marske. A relic of the old church at Upleatham. 2 ft 3 ins square by 2 ft 1 in high, and has a shaft at each angle, with scalloped capital and moulded base, each of the four sides being carved with diaper or star ornament of various forms. The top edge is chamfered on the underside and the font stands on a modern plinth.

Yks Arch. Journal XXI-301: late church. late 12C. pre-Conquest Cross head. (Grace? Market Cross?)
Church first mentioned about 1119 – 24 when Robert de Brus gave it to Guisborough Priory. Figures in a list of property of the Priory by 1535. A chapel annexed to the Priory.

October 1988. S Andrew, in the village, being converted into a dwelling. Font going to Skelton-in-Cleveland. Should have come to Guisborough. Parson at Guisborough (Rev Dixon, Master at Grammar School founded by Pursglove in 1561, served S Andrew’s church, walking from Guisborough. Guisborough has no ancient font, only Victorian tasteless gift.

see also: ..\..\Archbishop Herring's Visitations.doc

Upleatham Registers
Register 1. 1654-1698. Size 11 ¼" x 7". In a modern binding. Lettered on front in gilt capitals: Register of Baptisms Marriages and Burials for the Parish of Upleatham 1654-1698. Written on vellum. Some early entries illegible. Baptisms from 18 May 1654. Marriages from 18 May 1654.
The name of the civil “Register” is given on the first page: “Thomas Wrench was sworn and approved as the Parish Register of Upleatham before George Marwood, the local Justice.” By an Act of the Barebones Parliament dated 24 August 1653 (effective on 29 September the same year) the registers were taken away from the ministers and handed to a secular official who had the title of “Parish Register”. He was elected by local ratepayers.
Register 2. 1693-1762. 14" x 7⅜". Bound and lettered in the same style as Register No. 1. The original cover of pliable leather is contained within the modern binding. On vellum.
Register (not numbered). 1703-1791. Modern binding in brown linen. Lettered as first two registers. On paper. 8¾" x 7". Is this two registers bound together? Original cover in centre of volume.
Register 4. 1798-1806.
For the purposes of local government Upleatham comes under the Guisborough Urban District Council. In the past there was another close connection between the two parishes. From 1663 to 1800 the pastoral care of Upleatham was undertaken by the Curate of Guisborough, being a means of supplementing his meagre income. One of these curates, the Rev. William Leigh Williamson, also held the living at Kildale and it is a fair assumption that he spent a good deal of time in the saddle. Today the Parish of Upleatham is served by the clergy of Skelton. Grateful acknowledgement is made to the Ven. Archdeacon Palin and to the present Rector, the Rev Stark, for permission to study the registers. This task was facilitated by the ready co-operation of Mr Albert Fowle, the Churchwarden at S. Andrew’s Church: a warm vestry on cold winter mornings was much appreciated.
The primary purpose was to supplement work already undertaken on the Guisborough registers. After a brief inspection it was decided to extract information concerning standards of literacy as revealed by the marriage registers, and also to gather information relating to the occupations of the inhabitants. Any study of Upleatham is assisted by reference to the booklet written by the Rev. Thomas Walters, Vicar of Upleatham from 1923 to 193?. The author modestly describes the booklet as “Being notes about a Cleveland Country Parish”. No one should be deterred by the somewhat sentimental title of “Sweet Upleatham”. In addition to delving into the past, Mr Walters included a good survey of the contemporary scene. Furthermore, he suggested several avenues of enquiry for other local historians: the complete history of the two churches; the connection with Guisborough Priory; the site of a lost village near the old church; the erection and demolition of the Old Hall, and its social and economic consequences; the exploitation of the ironstone; and the variations in population figures. One paragraph on page 67 suggests that Mr Walters saw the world in miniature in his village street and that his vocation was well outside the range of his pulpit.
In 1969 Mrs Shirley Knight of Guisborough studied the contents of the safe of S. Andrew’s, Upleatham, as part of a research project on the Churches of Cleveland. Mrs Knight is also investigating the archaeological evidence concerning the old church.Guis. Par. reg. 1794 – Laurence Dundas, Upleatham, Esq., and Harriet Hale, dr.of Gen John Hale, married by Licence.

No comments:

Post a Comment