Brass Memorial Plate set in floor of chancel to S of pulpit. At one time fixed in the Church porch (as was the Brus cenotaph). The Susanna referred to in the following verse—
“A virtuous wife this marble stone doth hide,
Assuredly, a saint in Heaven shee’s tryde,
Religious was her life, the like her end,
In seeking Christ she most her time did spend,
If reader thow her name desire to know?
Susanna chaste, the same Pyckering joyn‘d to
Obitt 22º Sept Aº 1641”
Was Susanna Thompson of York?
For further information check Herald’s Visitation of Yorkshire Pedigrees.
Where did the marble (grave)stone go?
There is an old tomb slab on the S side of the chancel at the E end of the choir-stalls near the door leading to the churchyard. This door was used b y servants from Gisborough Hall when attending church. The Chaloner family used their private pew (now pulled down) and at the time of the 1904 restoration had a new door made leading to this pew. Dr WW Stainthorpe had a seat near the Gisborough Hall staff. The private pew mockingly named “The Horse Box” by some natives.
Parish Church Terrier 1716
“A True & perfect Terrier of the Augmentation, Salaries & other profits belonging to the Curacy of Guisborough in Cleveland.
Imp. We have neither house nor land.
Item: We have Fourty pounds per annum paid at two equal payments Lady day & Michaelmas by Mr Chaloner Lessee for the Tythes and the Surplice Fees are customarily –
For Every Churching 11d.
For Every Marriage publication 2/-.
For Every Marriage License 6/8d.
For Every Burial in ye Church Yard 1/-.
For Every Burial in ye Church below the Seats 2/6.
For Every Burial above it to the Chancel 5/-
For Every Burial in ye Chancel 10/-.
Parish Church Terriers
Terrier 12 May 1865
Curacy of Guisborough:
Thomas Chaloner, Lord of the Manor, as lessee of the Tithes under his Grace the Abp of York pays £40 yearly the Curate
An Estate at Carlton Miniott (Thirsk) by Will of Richard Lumley (Clerk to Sir David Foulis, Bt. And Wm Sandford—Rental £107
Donation £200 Robert Chaloner
Donation £200 Rev. TP Williamson
Donation £600 Govrs. Queen Anne’s Bounty
Bought 10 acres of land at Great Ayton = £20 rental.
Parsonage: whole contains 1¼ acres, given by Thomas Chaloner. Hse and bldgs erected by public subscription plus donation of £600 from Eccles. Commrs. Est. yearly value £30.
1858 An annuity granted by Eccles. Commrs. £80 (See under Bulmer 1890)
1865 Second annuity granted by Eccles. Commrs. £128
Surplice fees: Marriage 10/-. 2/- burial. 1/- churching.
Terrier 1781. Wm Chaloner, Esq., as L of the T … pays £40/13/4 to the Curate for serving the Curacies of Guisborough & Upl’m.
An Estate at Carlton Miniott (Parish of Thirsk) let out at the clear yearly rent of £45 (devised by Richard Lumley) in 1694.
3 bells, a clock, 1 silver flagon, 2 large silver salvers, two chalices.
1694 Bequest of Rev. Richard Lumley – rent of hse in Stonegate, York, and farm (61 acres) at Carlton Miniott (now—1840—let for £126, for sole benefit of the Perp. Curate of Guis. On condition that he shall read prayers in ch. twice everyday and administer the Sact. to them monthly. Trustee Sir Wm Fowlis (Foulis) of Ingleby Manor.
RL curate of Guis 1676-1964.
1794 – John Young
To work done At Guisbro’ Church:
To painting 49 Dozen Squares, 2 coats @ ¼ per Dozn …£3.5.4.
Verse on flyleaf of first Parish Register, 1661, Guisborough Parish Church. Origin ?
- - - - & Vala - & turning Wheele
Onwards begin to move from porte - - - selfe (?)
Round - - - - - X - - - -
Laden wth mortal/my - - - & small adventure
Z - - - furiously on cruell Rockes
“The names of such that were buried from the year 1653 are sett downe in ye Register taken by Tho: Thrush till 1661” (missing)
Guisborough Parish Registers commence 1661.
Up to 1751 entries for each year commence in March and April. In 1752 New Year altered from March (Feast of the Annunciation – “Lady Day”) to 1 January. And 11 days omitted from Calendar: 3 Sept to 13 Sept (so calendar reads 2 Sept – then 14 Sept. This was NS = New Style.
Julian Calendar (after Julius Caesar), OS, has 1 January as 1st day of a New Year. From latter part of 12C (a continental practice of reckoning) 25 March lady day became starting-point of the year for most purposes and remained legal and official mode of reckoning until reform of calendar in 1751. (Lord Chesterfield’s Act)
Gregorian Calendar (New Style) had been used by several countries abroad since 1582 (Pope Gregory XIII) when ten days were omitted. By 1752 discrepancy between OS and NS had increased to eleven days. Protestant countries slow to adopt. Bill not passed without an outcry – “Give us back our eleven days!”
Parish registers: Parish Church of S Nicholas, Guisborough, Cleveland, Yorkshire
First Register 1661 – 1694 containing Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.
Size: 6½” x 12½”. On flyleaf at front signature of Christopher Husband appears seven times; also “His book 1699”. At end of the register signature of *Thomas Proddy “His book” and these names:
It is probable that the names given above are the names of his seven children.
The name Thomas Proddy is inscribed in cursive characters on the silver tazza at Guisborough Parish Church. He was one of the four churchwardens whose names are inscribed on this vessel. The others are Tho. Pickering, Henry Lyell and Robert Browne, and the date on the vessel is 1640.
At the head of the first page of the register this note occurs: “The names of those Children which were Baptised from the yeare of Our Lord 1653 until the yeare 1661 are set down in the Registr taken by T: Thrash”. (Thrush ?) Yes: the name Thrush occurs 13 Oct 1661(Baptism)
1653 Commonwealth Parliament passed Act requiring clergy to give up their registers to laymen who were called Parish Register)
On a page at the front of the register is a list of the births of the family of the Chaloner. These record the hour and day of birth.
A man unknown
Parish Register: burial "a man unknown. Died in Smith's Lodging House Yard". 5 October 1897. "years about 60."
Afloat and Ashore
Baptisms - Guisborough Parish Registers
1796 - 12 June - Mary, daughter of John White, Mariner, born and baptized on a Man of War and received into the Church here.
1796 - 19 June - Mary, daughter of John Hewe, a Soldier in the Ancient British Fencibles, by Joyce his wife.
1797 - Catherine, daughter of Richard Williamson, Stocking Weaver and in the Nottinghamshire (Militia) by Ann his wife.
Missing Registers? At York 8 years in the Thrush register and 116 years back to 1538 Act = a total 123 years unaccounted for, assuming that the registers were kept from 1538 onwards.
Act of 1532 (Barebones' Parliament) "By this the Government took away from the Ministers not only the custody of the registers, but even the solemnisation of the marriage ceremony itself. The latter of these functons was entrusted to the Justices, the former to a new secular official, the "Parish Register" (not 'Registrar'), elected by the ratepayers in the parish, and sworn before, and approved by, a magistrate ... Sometimes the minister of the parish was elected 'Register'. In other parishes the Parish Clerk was chosen." The Parish Chest, pp 46 and 47.
12d per birth and baptism, 4d per birth and burial.
Burial reg. 1661: "The names of such that were buried from the yeare 1653 are sett downe in ye register taken by Tho: Thrush till 1661."
Parish Registers. Ordered to be kept by Thomas Cromwell’s ‘Injunctions of 1538’. Every incumbent was there enjoined to keep a record of Christenings, Burials and Marriages in his parish. A statistical basis for Government action, a record of the people of England. A suspicion that it was to be used for tax purposes. Not at first generally observed. – ‘England 1200 – 1640’, GR Elton 1969.
1604 John Thompson - ‘Susan, wife of John Thompson, parish clerk of Gisburghe’ (A list of ‘Roman Catholics in the County of York’, E Peacock. 1872
1653-1661 Thrash (Thrush) ‘Parish Register’ (Throstle’s Nest?)
1699 Christopher Husband
1725 William Taylor Parish clerk buried
1726 Christopher Bulmer ‘Licens’d Parish Clerk’ buried 1752
1754-1780 John Gisburn Licence granted 1 June 1754. Buried 3 Nov 1803. ‘A Literate person to perform the office of parish clerk ... upon the nomination of William Hide, Curate there’
1795 William Gisburn Weaver and Clerk of the Parish, buried 21 Dec.
1795 John Darnton Signature on an account: Vestry papers – ‘Funeral, 98 towels washed 6/-*
1795-1812 Robert Warton
1864-1865 John Darnton
1867 William Darnton White’s Directory
1885 John William Knaggs A joiner? Died Aug 10, 1885. 33 yrs. gravestone in cemetery.
1929 John James Pybus In addition to being Parish Clerk he was a joiner and undertaker by trade and his involvement in parish affairs included member (and Captain) of the local Fire Brigade from 1874 to 1920, and Superintendent of the Sunday school for 24 years.
*See ‘Forty Years in a Moorland Parish’ (Cannon Atkinson of Danby) - coffins not borne on shoulders in some cases, but towels used as support under coffin by bearers (instead of rope?).
‘D&S Times’ 18/10/1975
…bells at village churches rung to announce death of a parishioner … call for aprayer for the departed … John Donne: ‘Any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. Therefore never send to know for who the bell tolls – it tolls for thee.’
Age and sex of departed – 9 for a man, six for a woman, three for a child, followed by the age on the tenor bell. ‘Nine tailors makes a man”. (“nine tellers”) Dorothy Sayers’ book.
Perpetual Curates, Ministers and Rectors
1132 William de Brus
1265 Ralph de Ireton
1289 Adam de Newland
1319 Roger de Hill, Parochal Chapn.
1320 Robert de Wilton
1346 John de Darlington
1391 John de Hurreworth
1394 Walter de Thorpe
1408 John de Helmsley
1439 Thomas de Thweng
Richard de Yrton
1455 Thomas Darlington
1491 John Whitley
1505 John Moreby
1511 William Spires
1519 James Cockerill
1520 Umfray Shawnton, Curate
1544 Will Feldue, Curate
1558 Robert Pierson
1568 William Allen
1616 Nicholas Morris (Marris) His *Will – 5th May 1638
Will Heselton, Matthew Bowmaker & Thos. Thompson: churchwardens.
1624 Wm Ward Perpetual Curate and Preacher
1650 Thomas Wood, Minister
1650 Robert Rimmington, Minister
1662 Mr Johnson, Minister (Hearth Tax 2)
1663 Thomas Wrench (SW Upleatham) p 39
1663 Ralph Langton, Minnyster of Gisbrough. Buried 23 Novr 1676
1676 Richard Lumley
1694 Maurice Lisle – buried. Reg ‘Curate’
1694 John Hall
1722 John Hall MA buried 25 March
1722 Richard Cuthbert MA
1727 Wm Hide (d. 10 Sept 1767)
1765 Nicholas Robinson
1767 Wm Leigh Williamson (d 27th April, 1805). Aged 80.
1798 Thomas Pym Williamson (d 1836)
1836 Henry Clarke (d 1861)
1862 Francis Henry Morgan (resigned 1900)
1901 Arthur Nutter Thomas
1906 Geo Henry Cobham
1919 Harold Evelyn Hubbard
1922 Osbert Gaddesdon Mackie (d 1926)
1927 Tom Longworth – to Feb 1935
1935 Alan Gillies Wilken – July? Vide Parish Magazine
1956 Cecil Morrison
1964 Basil Pegman
1969 Robert Gibson
*Bundle August Wills – Yk Regs. 1636-52. YA and Top A Record Series Vol IV.
Inscription on a gravestone in Guisborough Churchyard copied as below in the 1950s:
Memory of John Pierson a Man of unfullied
Character and singular purity of Manners
He was born on October the 7 1728 of respectable
Parents in Glazedale At the age of 79 Years
He entered into the Service of Ralph Ward
Efqr of Guisbrough after whose Death He
continued ......................... of Mrs. Jackfon
of Normanby ...................... and this Stone
Family 54 Years. In April 1802 He c..........
to reside on a Property he had Purchased
at Guifbrough and died March 23rd 1810
aged 81 Years Respected and Lamented"
‘The Puritans and the Church Courts in the Diocese of York 1560-1642’ by R Marchant, Longmans 1960.
Perp. Curate & Preacher at Guisborough. Will proved 1632. Mentioned in A.Bs 1615/1618/1624. See Lady Hoby’s Diary.
BA, Ord Deacon 1621 as Asst at Guisborough and Licensed Preacher.
Minister at Guisborough c. 1650.
Minister at Guisborough 1650.
W Ward, 1608-32. p 321 @Puritans & Church Courts’.
Nicholas Robinson, Minister and self-styled ‘Curate’. Last signature.
Anthony Hastwell, Officiating curate.
Pybus, John James
From the Parish Magazine of October 1929.
‘The death of John James Pybus has left a gap in the life of Guisborough which will be felt for a long time. His was a wonderful record of long and faithful service to his town and above all to his church. He was a member of the choir and Superintendent of the Sunday School for a great many years, and he held the office of Parish Clerk for some 45 years, during which time he was never absent from his duties except for the most urgent cause, and he carried out those duties with a reverent care which was beautiful to see. For some time past his friends had been anxious about his health, and a few days after his 81st birthday he slipped quietly away to his rest. We can surely think of him now as ‘serving God day and night in His Temple’ as he served him here on earth. It would be almost impossible to fill his place adequately, and it is not my intention to appoint another Parish Clerk in succession to him. But I have arranged that some of his duties shall be carried on at least until the end of the year, by his daughter, Miss Pybus, who will receive all notices of banns, weddings, baptisms and funerals at 35 Westgate as usual, and by his grandson, Bernard Pybus, who will carry out all the duties connected with the sanctuary.’
Tom Longworth, Rector
South porch proposed for S Nicholas Church
‘Priority’ April 198?: a paragraph re proposed new porch entrance on the south side of the church & to close the west door – ‘only used for Bishops, Brides ...!’
The C of E spending money on building, instead of doing something to alleviate boredom of young unemployed (say, organise the Parish Hall facilities) – the PPC looking inwards – not into the Parish!
Seated, with two curates.
In 190? a series of tableaux were performed to raise funds towards cost of restoring the parish church. This photo shows the cast of “The Burning of the Priory”.
Watson Memorial Window
17 April 1989. Mr Reg walker as below surviving land agent of above firm is selling office attached to Kemplah House and it looks as though the JE Watson estate is being finally wound up. The office and the land are part of it. (Single storey ground floor).
“Dear Mr Brelstaff,
JE Watson Memorial Window
The name of the designer craftsman who designed and installed the above window in Guisborough Parish Church in 1972 was Harry Harvey, Station House, Barton Hill, York.
You may also be interested to know that the cost was £398 and incidentally that cost was shared equally amongst Miss FMC Watson, Miss ERA Watson and RW Walker.
Windows, stained glass
Under the centre window is the old doorway which was used by those parishioners with the privilege of sitting with the choir.
The third window from the right was reconstructed at the time of the 1904-08 restoration.
Exterior of chancel from south: 3 bays with windows said to have been moved from priory (?)
Scarborough – S Mary. E window by HJ Stammers – “mildly expressionist” (Pevsner, Buildings of England, NR of Yks.)
Whitby, S Hilda’s. Built 1884/6. RJ Johnson of Newcastle £14,000. Glass by HW Harvey. (Tower completed 1938.)
All Kempe (1887-1906) “except for two acceptably expressionist ones in the N aisle – HW Harvey of York 1959