Sunday, 30 August 2009

Demolitions & Development 2

Market Place 17 C window

Gazette caption: A 17th century window in the Market Place, Guisborough, which may shortly be replaced by a modern building. It was used as a shop until recently It is hoped that should alterations be made to the property the window may be put on view elsewhere. On the left of the picture are Coun. Tom Pallister (chairman of the Urban Council) and his brother, Mr George Pallister.

WDB: I knew this shop before 1914-18 War. It was called “Kipper Pybus’s shop”.
(This photocopy shows it in the 1930s when the shop was occupied by Sowerby.)

Evening Gazette 26 April 1960.
“Guisborough’s old-world face is to change a little again soon. What was once a trio of stone-built houses that have latterly been a shop and a dentist’s surgery in Westgate are to be hauled down to be replaced by a modern grocery store and offices.
The demolition will see the removal of this early 19th century bow window, one of the few remaining windows of its kind.
But at least that part of the building might be saved, for Moores Ltd, who are to rebuild on the site, have offered the window to the Castle Museum, York, and they are ‘very interested’.
Another pair of old world windows in Westgate were also taken to the Castle Museum and they have been incorporated in a Victorian-style post office in the ? –street, York. It will be officially opened next Monday by Sir John Wilson, Keeper of the Queen’s Stamps.

Three views of the site.

New House, Stokesley Rd.
Plans approved for Brown House at the West End of Guisborough in 1909. Occupied by the Robert family who manufactured and sold an adhesive called Gloy, in Middlesbrough?

“Old Mine Earmarked for Golf.

Cleveland County Council has smiled on a plan for a golf course at Guisborough.
The proposal by the Trustees of the Guisborough Estate this week went before the Development Control Committee. It is for the construction of a clubhouse, car park and 18-hole course on 114 acres of land known as Chaloner Quarry and Chaloner Pit off Wilton Lane.
The committee was told that the site, once used for an iron ore mine, had later been filled by tipping and was being reclaimed as agricultural land.
Use as a golf course fitted in with overall planning intentions, said the county planning officer, who recommended support for the scheme. Reservations were expressed about traffic that would use an entrance at a sharp corner on Wilton Lane. The project still has to go before the Langbaurgh District Planning Committee.
Mr Andrew Argyle, of Strutt and Parker, Northallerton, agents for the Guisborough Estate, said, “Around 60% of the reclamation work on the land is complete, but afterwards the ground has to be left to consolidate.
The plan is a long term project which if approved will develop in stages.”
D & S Times, 3 Aug. ’85.

Church Lane (Vicars) estate
on the Fair Field, east of Redcar Road

Ian Nairn in the Architectural review, December 1969:
"OUTRAGE Guisborough, Yorks, N.R. A mindless splatter of new houses on the edge of an attractive town, and in a superb setting, next to the Priory ruins (arrowed) and immediately under the escarpment of the North Yorkshire moors."

Battle of Guisborough 1642

See John Walker Ord’s History of Cleveland, p 63.

Housing development site off Church Lane (c 1967) was cited by Ord as Wars Field. In the early 20C, (pre 1914) was called the Fair Field – occupied near entrance of s. end of Redcar Rd by visiting fairs. When being developed a stone arch (culvert?) was destroyed by bulldozer (near present new garage) and this was near the Pound which was in the corner of the Grammar School field. See map. Was the ducking-stool in this field? See Ord re ‘trenches’ on 1856 OS map. A parish field?


A postcard and two views, one from the road and the other from the garden, prior to demolition in 1966 for conversion to Works Depot of Guisborough UDC.
Built 1859. Destroyed by fire in 1868. Rebuilt as shown in the above pictures.
In 1818 the Glebe House was stated as “unfit for residence, being a small cottage” (near the Mermaid Inn).Site given by Captain Thomas Chaloner RN which may explain the initials on the stone. It was found in the rectory grounds and placed on the verge near the Foundry on the opposite side of the road.


John James Pybus’ joiners workshop demolished 1968, - the house on the right had a keystone above the door with initials and a date:


- and developed as Boots Chemist and a local branch of the York County Savings Bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment